Monday, March 5, 2018

It's All About the Discourse

Hey everyone! Recently, I've been delving deeper into my research and I’m learning so much about the different components that are required to create a travel magazine. First of all, it is essential for a great travel magazine to have high-quality writing. Whatever the topic is on, the writing needs to be descriptive and have a lot of embedded sensory images so that the audience can truly get a grasp of what the author is describing and the reader can envision that they are truly are in the place they are describing. According to the article 12 Characteristics of Successful Travel Writers by Roy Stevenson, “Good travel writing involves using all your senses when visiting a place.  The photographs that accompany your article give a good sense of visuals. But without using your other senses it only provides one dimension for your article.”

While the writing needs to be descriptive, the writing should not be too difficult to understand for ordinary people to understand at the same time. For example in the article Adventures all Around, in the October/November edition of National Geographic Traveller, the author quotes, “I breathe in time with my animal, inhaling the damp northern wind as we skirt the glassy Sauðafellsvatn lake. Iceland is remarkably elemental like this—at any moment, you see and feel the earth, air, water, and fire.” This excerpt truly shows the level of skill necessary to truly completely express your experiences.

This will be it for now for my ranting about magazine writing. I hope to inform you all soon what information I find about travel photography and the actual target audience for my future magazine spread.

Stevenson, Roy. “12 Characteristics of Successful Travel Writers .” 12 Characteristics of Successful Travel Writers, www.pitchtravelwrite.com/travel-writers-characteristics.html.

No comments:

Post a Comment

CCR

Hey everyone, my CCR is taking a really long time to upload to YouTube because I'm using a much older computer than my current computer ...