Friday, March 9, 2018

The Camera Goes Snap Snap

Hey everyone! I hope you all have had a great week for far! This week I’ve been culminating all the information I could find about what it takes to make a great travel magazine. So far I have covered most of the important problems I have needed to discuss, but there is one topic I haven’t digressed on yet: photography, which may be the most important element to a travel magazine.  When it comes to travel magazines is that the images are usually bright, top-notch and In contrast, travel magazines do not contain many numbers to describe their information. Therefore the information presented tend to be more qualitative rather than quantitative, which draw the reader into the destination and into the content.
According to the University of Massachusetts Amherst Travel and Tourism Association, “travel experience is generally pleasure-based and consumed through images such as photographs and stories (Boorstin, 1961; Urry, 1990). It is often assumed that travel-oriented publications such as travel magazines have substantial effects on people’s travel decisions.” In other words, due to the fact that travel is usually a way for tourists to rewind and escape from their everyday lives when images from a travel magazine are enticing enough, they can draw the reader in and make decisions based on what information they have consumed. Therefore, in order for my project to work, I’m going to have some pretty good shots to use in my future magazine spread.
There may be one slight problem though, my photography skills are kind of lacking. I mean, yes I know how to aim my phone towards a certain direction and click a button to capture a photo on my phone, but that’s more or less the extent of my photography skills. Freaking out, I turned to the Internet to search for an ailment to my disease. Thankfully enough, I found dozens of guides online that show you how to take amazing pictures with just your ordinary phone camera. One of the guides came from National Geographic, the same company that issues a new edition of National Geographic Traveller every month. The site has tips for a range of photography learners, from learning the basic etiquette of photography to specific, detailed guides on how to take photographs based on the environment, location, and time of day.
I really want to get some nice shots for my magazine, so I’m going to try to follow all the tips of photography, like avoiding direct sunlight when taking my photos, so that when the time comes for me to get all my shots for the magazine cover, I won’t be regretting my choice to do a travel magazine.

Websites to Improve Photography Skills:

The Effect of Travel Magazine Features and Photos on Tourist Decision Making. scholarworks.umass.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1448&context=ttra.

No comments:

Post a Comment

CCR

Hey everyone, my CCR is taking a really long time to upload to YouTube because I'm using a much older computer than my current computer ...