Thursday, March 8, 2018

Target Audience

Hey all! So far, I know that I would like to create a magazine addressing how to have a nice trip with the cheapest budget possible. I’m not really interested in copying notorious travel magazines that mainly attract an older, upper-class crowd, like Travel and Leisure or Lonely Planet.
After I first established that I wanted to do a travel magazine, I figured that I wanted to attract the millennial audience ranging from around 20-40 and having an income of around $50,000 a year. After doing some solid research, I realize this may not be realistic. I may not be able to attract an audience this young that would go to magazines as a source when trying to figure out where to go on vacation. Millennial audiences tend to be influenced by social media sites such as Tumblr, Instagram, and Pinterest. The type of content tends to be “wanderlust”, and according to Forbes magazine, “Millennials will increasingly seek transformational trips. Millennial travelers are looking for transformational experiences while they travel, even if it’s only during a seven to 14-day trip. This is demonstrated by the growth in adventure travel, which continues to be one of the most popular and fastest-growing types of travel for Millennials” Therefore, their type of travel seems to be less structured and more of a free- for- all kind of experience. They do not seem to care to read magazines for a structured trip.
If I were to attract a slightly older audience, however, I might be able to make my vision work. According to National Geographic’s Media Information Kit, National Geographic Travelled mainly attracts those within the age group of 35-65. "Our readers can afford to travel up to three times a year, on short breaks and to once-in-a-lifetime destinations on an annual or biannual basis. They believe travel is a necessity, not a luxury.”  This is exactly what I am looking for. Although the age group of 35-65 is a bit older than I was planning on attracting, this can actually work in my favor.

“Travel and Leisure Magazine Analysis.” Mereavery's Blog, 7 Feb. 2012,
metdenver.wordpress.com/2012/02/07/56/.

“National Geographic Australia/ New Zealand Travel Kit.” Http://Www.natgeotraveller.com.au/NationalGeographic/Media/National-Geographic/Winter%202014/National-Geographic-Traveller-AUNZ-Media-Kit_2014.Pdf.

Media, MNI Targeted. “Time MNI Thought Leadership.” Thought Leadership, insightlab.mnitargetedmedia.com/document/millennial-consumers-trends-and-insights/?download_key=f3e16f4f-33d8-4855-a9ce-1843b51aee4d&document_id=409.

Ferree, Michael. “18 Statistics That Marketers Need to Know about Millennials.” LeadsCon, LeadsCon, 2 Nov. 2015, www.leadscon.com/18-statistics-that-marketers-need-to-know-about-millennials/.

Fromm, Jeff. “Why Millennials Are The Most Important Consumer Generation For The Travel Industry.” Forbes, Forbes Magazine, 8 Nov. 2017, www.forbes.com/sites/jefffromm/2017/11/08/why-millennials-are-the-most-important-consumer-generation-for-the-travel-industry/#3ed5d7a4e1f1.

No comments:

Post a Comment

CCR

Hey everyone, my CCR is taking a really long time to upload to YouTube because I'm using a much older computer than my current computer ...